Sunday, July 24, 2016

Summer Fun


Last weekend we helped organize and put on a summer BBQ for the local chapter of the P.E.O. scholarship group I belong to.

It was a beautiful summer day, with moderate temperatures and mild breezes and we were cooking and eating in the middle of an awesome grove of tall old redwood trees. I made iced tea. I probably knew how to make it when I was a kid, but it has been a very long time since I made iced tea, so I had to check on the internet for a recipe. Sounds silly, but I was making it for about 40 people, so I didn't want to do it wrong. I think the iced tea I had when I was young was sweet iced tea and I have never cared for it, but this time I could add the amount of sweetness I liked, so it was better. Still prefer my tea hot, but at least now I can make a great batch of iced tea!

Sweetie and Jerry did their magic at the BBQ grill and cooked up some delicious tri-tip. All the other appetizers and food were pot luck and there were lots of delicious offerings. A fine time was had by all! Never did take a photo of the iced tea...too busy. Use your imagination, OK?

Iced Tea

4 cups boiling water
2 tea bags
4 cups cold water
1/4 cup simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water, boiled until the sugar dissolves)
1/2 a lemon, slice thin, seeds removed

In a large non-reactive container (I used a very large tempered glass container) combine the boiling water and tea bags, leaving in the tea bags long enough to get a good color. Remember you will be diluting this with cold water and ice, so make it strong enough.

Remove the tea bags and discard.

Add the cold water and the simple syrup. Stir to combine. Chill in the fridge until cold.

Add ice and stir. Add lemon slices and stir. Serve.

No comments :

Post a Comment